An individual must make an active search for full-time work in order to receive unemployment insurance benefits.
|The Agency defines “actively seeking work” as follows:|
|You MUST be registered for work through your local WIN Job Center.
|You MUST contact three (3) employers each week to apply for work. An actual application must be completed with at least one of the three employer contacts.
|You MUST provide a detailed record of the employers you contact each week.
Work search record details depend on the type of work search activities, but they must include what you did; how you did it; the date you did it; the company name and the name and phone number of the person you spoke with. If you called an employer, you should include the phone number; if you visited in person, include an address; if you sent an e-mail or fax, include the e-mail address or fax number; if you made an Internet contact, give the Web address. If you submit an application online be sure to retain any return emails as verification of the online search. All work search information will be verified with the employer. If an employer disputes or cannot verify your contact report, your eligibility to receive benefits will be denied.
When you file your weekly certifications for benefits online at www.mdes.ms.gov, you will be directed to complete your weekly work search details first. If you file your weekly certification for benefits via the Interactive Voice Response, IVR, system you must complete your weekly work search by contacting the Call Center at 601-855-3133 or 1-888-844-3577, Wednesday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST to provide your work search details.
To enter your weekly certification and work search details online follow the steps below:
- On this website, select the Unemployment Claims tab in the main menu. Then select the File Weekly Certification option to start your weekly certification.
You may also click here or use the button at the bottom of this page.
After you log into the online system, My MDES page will appear. Click on File Weekly Certification tab and the Work Search Questionnaire screen will appear. You must answer the questions and then click Next.
- The next screen to appear will be the Work Search Summary screen or Weekly Certification Details screen based on your responses to the Work Search Questionnaire.
- On the Work Search Summary screen you must select Yes and then click Next. The Work Search Detail screen will appear. You must complete all applicable fields and click the Next button. After entering the three details for each employer contact, a screen will appear that will allow you to edit the provided information, if necessary. You will be asked if additional employer contact details are available. If so, select the Yes option and click the Next button, entering the details for all available employer contacts.
- After the details of all employer contacts have been submitted, you will be directed to the Work Search Acknowledgement screen to certify the details of the employer contacts provided are true and accurate. Enter the last four (4) digits of your Social Security Number as an electronic signature. Click the Submit button in the lower right corner of the screen.
- If you are filing a weekly certification, select Next to continue. After details have been entered, you will be directed to the Weekly Certification Acknowledgement screen. Enter the last four (4) digits of your Social Security Number as an electronic signature. Click the Submit button in the lower right corner of the screen.
If you filed your weekly certification for benefits via the IVR you must contact the Call Center at 601-855-3133 or 1-888-844-3577, Wednesday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST to provide your work search details.
NOTE: To file your weekly certification using our online services you must establish a user ID and password.
Once you have certified your work search record the information may only be changed by contacting an MDES Customer Service Representative at (601) 855-3133 or 1-888-844-3577, Wednesday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST.
Failure to look for, apply for, or accept suitable work will result in a denial of benefits.